26 June 2006

Schoolhouse Rock!

Okay, so everyone my age grew up with Saturday morning 'toons and Schoolhouse Rock. A while ago, Kitty Daddy found a DVD of them and it has turned into one of Bug's favorite videos. I have most of them memorized now. Seriously...I can sing almost any of them on demand!

Interestingly enough, some of my strongest Schoolhouse Rock associations are more recent. One (filed under random things that just seem to permanently lodge in your brain for no real reason) is that a very dear friend of mine and her husband called their first child "Rufus Xavier Sarsaparilla" before birth. In retrospect, the baby probably should have been "Rafaella Gabriella Sarsaparilla," and her little brother could have been "Rufus Xavier Sarsaparilla." But who knew??

Another involves a friend from my Cottey College days. I was one of her bridesmaids when she got married in 1994 and stayed at her apartment while I was in town. On the morning of the wedding, the two of us were curled up on her sofa waking up and getting ready to start the day. We had turned on the TV and ran into Schoolhouse Rock. Again, I'm not sure why that moment is so firmly lodged in my brain either!

0 comments: