06 June 2006

The long-lost chili recipe

On my recipe, it's called "Dad's Chili," but since he couldn't replace it when it went missing, I now claim it as "My Chili"

3 lb coarse ground beef
2 small green peppers, chopped
2 medium onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
4 oz. green chiles or jalapenos, finely chopped

Cook beef, green peppers, onions, garlic, and chiles in oil until lightly browned. Then add:

2 T chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp salt
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp tobasco sauce
1 c water or beer
3-16 oz. cans stewed tomatoes, diced

Simmer 45 minutes.

3-15 oz. cans kidney beans*

Stir in undrained beans; cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Makes about 4 quarts.

* One pound dry kidney beans may be substituted. Soak beans overnight, then simmer for two hours before adding to chili.
I've never used dry beans, but included it, since it was in the recipe. If you prefer fresh chiles to the canned kind, I have found that one average-sized jalapeno is about an ounce.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good job! I was able to cut and paste your recipe into Word, so now we have a copy again, too (since we can't seem to locate the original one). :o(

P.S. I renamed it "Jen's Chili" with a footnote. :o)