29 December 2006

Handspun Wooly Goodness

I finished spinning the singles from my wool/silk roving last night and started plying it. I finished with the plying this morning and am very pleased with the result. Here is a picture of the plied yarn on the spindle:

And here is a close up of the yarn:

I still need to wind it off the spindle into a hank, lightly wash the yarn to set the twist, and let it dry before I can start knitting with it. I am planning on making myself either a hat or a pair of mittens (or both if there is enough yarn).

Now I have spun up all of the roving I had. I will have to decide whether the kids and I need to make a trip to the farm where we got the spindle and roving or if I can wait until February. In mid-February, we are planning to go to see a sheep-shearing at a farm in Oregon, WI. The website mentioned that they would have roving available for sale. We'll have to get the rest of the way through the holidays, use up the yarn gift certificates and see how the knitting is going before I decide.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooooh, isn't February a little early to make those poor sheepses nekid in your part of the country?

Knittymama said...

Lovely!!! I really need to get back to spinning.