12 January 2007

A poem to share

The kids and I have been reading Shel Silverstein poems. I ran across "The Giving Tree" several weeks ago at the library. We have had a couple of kid's poetry collections (Flamingos on the Roof and The Yellow Elephant) and Bug loved both. In fact, we read The Yellow Elephant at least twice a day for most of the time it was checked out! So, I looked at our library branch for some of Shel's poetry collections. We found Falling Up and A Light in the Attic checked in and took both home. We have already read all the way through A Light in the Attic and are about halfway through Falling Up. We checked out Where the Sidewalk Ends today (which I had read several times as a kid). So we have poems to hold us for a while!

Anyway, in the process of reading so far, I found a poem that I really like. Not only is it pretty good advice, it also sums up my whole parenting philosophy pretty well and explains how I found "Attachment Parenting" when Bug was tiny. So, without further ado...

The Voice

There is a voice inside of you
That whispers all day long,
"I feel that this is right for me,
I know that this is wrong."
No teacher, preacher, parent, friend
Or wise man can decide
What's right for you--just listen to
The voice that speaks inside.

-- From Falling Up: Poems and
Drawings
by Shel Silverstein

0 comments: