13 January 2007

Bug's Sweater

In spite of the various problems I encountered, I finished the Bug's sweater and coerced talked him into modeling it for me. Of course, we needed a silly face. I am still less than completely delighted with the collar. It does go over his head, but it looks so big. In the future, I would probably do a slit in front or maybe go with a V-neck. The hemmed collar also rolls a bit, which I suspect is a result of having the last inch or so leading up to the collar knit too tight. Since the yarn is a cotton/wool blend, I'm hoping a couple of trips through to washing machine will mellow the neckline out a little.


Specifications
Yarn: Knit Picks Main Line in Wedgewood
Needles: Denise Interchangeable, size 7 (size 5 for ribbing)
Pattern: Based on the basic kid's raglan sleeve crew neck in The Knitter's Handy Book of Sweater Patterns by Ann Budd. Modifications include using Kitchener stitch on armpits and closing remaining holes when weaving in ends of KS instead of binding off and seaming, using Japanese short rows to shape neck band instead of binding off and picking up stitches. I ended up modifying the shaping of the neck in order to fit it over his head. Also I used k2p2 ribbing for the bottom hem, wrist bands, and neck band.

I loved the Japanese short rows. I had been using wrap and turn short rows and wasn't thrilled with them, but I think the Japanese short rows are the answer! I had a lot better luck making them look smooth and unobtrusive.

0 comments: