26 February 2007

No business like snow business!

While the promised storm certainly did materialize, it wasn't nearly as bad as it could have been. On the one hand, it is the most snow I have seen at once since we moved to Wisconsin. However, even though it snowed all day Sunday, the temperature hung out at 33°F so the depth of snow really didn't change the whole day...it just kept getting heavier and denser.

Daddy went out to shovel our front walk and the kids played in the snow. Bean would find a big lump of snow, walk up to some one, announce "Gah Choo" and throw it. She could usually hit the target if she was about 6" away. Bug, on the other hand, has a much more deadly snowball arm.

The drifts and snowplow piles were quite impressive. Now Bean can tell her future child to stop complaining about how deep the snow is, when she survived the blizzard of '07 the drifts were over her head!

The snowplow piles from the parking lot were even more impressive...great for a king of the mountain game!

Or queen of the mountain!

In knitting news, I survived the interminable cast-on, but found out it gets better. Okay, if you are a knitter, ponder this one: "Cast on 504 stitches. Join in the round, being careful not to twist." Yeah, sure, I'll wait while you finish rolling on the floor laughing. The problem with that many stitches is there is no stinkin' way to tell if there is a twist or not. I have knit seven rounds for the ruffle and am in the decrease row and I'm still not sure whether or not I'm twisted. I'll probably make it to the armpits and THEN find out I have a twist. Keeping fingers, toes, and assorted cats, dogs, and small children crossed.

Bug continues to do marvelously with the whole potty deal. He's still not 100% reliable through the night, but a pair of training pants worn under regular underpants satisfies both of us. Once I get over this stinkin' cold, I will try harder to remember to get him up to potty in the middle of the night. His newest skill is "holding it." While it is a useful skill to have, for example, in the car. As in "Can you hold it until we get home??", he seems to be trying to be an overachiever. When I read the signs, I will ask him if he has to go potty. While holding his crotch with both hands, crossing his legs, and doing the pee-pee dance in 12-part harmony with full orchestration, he will assure me that no thank you, he is fine and doesn't need to go potty. Yeah, right.

3 comments:

Shelly said...

Hi I really enjoyed reading your blog!

Anonymous said...

Great snow pictures...I notice that Miss Bean is wearing mittens for this snow session (and not running out barefoot and in the all-together with only her coat on!

Tell Bug we're very proud of him, even his attempts at "over-achievement." I want to see the pee-pee dance in 12-part harmony with full orchestration. It would probably get an Oscar??!!

Ms. Knitingale said...

Laughing right out loud, Kitty Mommy. I remember when I was working with young children and I had a small boy doing exactly that--clutching his crotch, hopping wildly, etc. So, naturally, I asked him if he needed to pee. He assured me that he did not. Unconvinced (go figure) I asked him why, if he didn't have to pee, he was holding his private parts? "Because" he told me, smiling brightly, "If I don't, I'll wet myself." Well...yeah.