01 May 2008

Getting ready for company

Well, my parents took to the road on Sunday and should be rolling in to Wisconsin sometime today. The kids are just too excited to see Grandma and Grandpa. Bug and Bean each put together a book for Grandma and Grandpa (I can spill it now since it is unlikely they will be checking the internet before arriving!). I cut a bunch of plain white paper in half and the kids have been creating art on the pages for the last couple of weeks and then yesterday, they each picked a piece of cardstock (Blue for Bug, Pink for Bean) that I cut in half for the covers. Three-hole-punch and some yarn to tie things together (white cotton for Bean, pink acrylic for Bug) and they are ready to go.

We have also been getting the house spiffied up for them. This morning I scrubbed the kitchen floor with three little helpers...yes, even Beeb had a (dry) sponge that he was pounding on the floor with. As the Harlot said on Monday (paraphrased): It's not technically child labor sweat shop if they are enjoying it. Of course, we also must ignore the fact of how much extra cleaning it took to reverse all the "help"!

On Tuesday, we went for a "hike" at the local botanical garden. Although it was a bit windy and chilly, it was wonderful seeing all the spring flowers in bloom and burning some kid energy.



Yesterday, we decided to go completely green. We needed groceries and not only did we remember to take the reusable bags, but we walked and pulled our little red wagon. Bug pushed Beeb in the umbrella stroller and Bean "helped" me with the wagon. We stopped at "close park" to play for a little and enjoy the sun. All I can say is, boy did the kids go down easy last night!

I have been "spinning my spindle"...not as much as in January and February and I completely fell off the wagon with updating progress. The viscose was kind of sucking the joy out of spinning for a while there. I'd spin and spin and spin and maybe add a gram. Plus it is so sticky that it's like fighting with it instead of being relaxing. So I pulled out my corriedale roving and started it. Then I got sidetracked making my own spindle since both of my spindles are fairly heavy (the Ashford is 82 g and the turkish is 51 g) and I wanted a lighter spindle on the cheap.

Weighing in at a sleek and slender 23 g, it has made spinning fine singles so much easier. Not so great in the balance and momentum category, but, hey, you get what you pay for. So without further ado, my Spin My Spindle updates:

Spin My Spindle
March 2008

Activity: SpinningSpinning
Fiber: CorriedaleViscose
Spindle: Ashford Turkish
Amount: 2 grams
4 grams

Spin My Spindle
April 2008

Activity: Spinning
Fiber: Corriedale
Spindle: Homemade
Amount: 8 grams

I think that I will probably go to monthly spinning updates, rather than weekly, as 2 grams of spinning is just not that impressive! I haven't given up on the viscose...there is only an ounce and I'm over halfway through. When ever I have a strong need for self-flagellation, I'll pull it out and spin a couple of grams. Meanwhile the Corriedale should go great guns...it's bouncy and crimpy and spins nicely. And with the little homemade spindle, it fits in my sock bag and I got a little spinning done at the botanical garden and the park this week!

4 comments:

Marianne said...

Hmmmm, sounds like the 'green' day was a huge success, exercise for everyone plus the little ones going down so well that night, a win win situation if I've ever heard of one!

The books sound fantastic, I'm sure we'll get to see them after grandparents receive them, eh?

Enjoy the time!

Molly Bee said...

Cool spindle! Bringing your Mom to Knit Night?

Cindy G said...

The books are a wonderful idea. The grandparents will love them.

YarnThrower said...

Have fun with your parents!