29 April 2008

Squeeeeeee!

Last night was the Harlot in Madison!! Beeb and I went and enjoyed it immensely. The ever-lovely Dale-Harriet saved us a seat, so we were in the second row! Beeb snuggled in for a nap shortly after we arrived, and was rudely awoken by the Harlot amplified by the PA system and Mama laughing out loud. He gave me the stink-eye every time I started laughing for the first few minutes, but then settled in to enjoy the show. By the end, he was giggling and kicking his legs. Since one never knows how long a baby is going to be happy, I managed to pre-board for the signing and my little flirty-bug decided to play hard-to-get with the Harlot. Not smiling, no way, nuh-uh! (Thank you Chocolate Sheep Beth for snapping the photo!)

Of course, we went back to our chair to people-watch and chat with friends and within five minutes, the little stinker was working the crowd, flirting with everyone in sight. He even met a little five-month-old girl. I think it was love! She was practically jumping up and down on her mama's lap and Beeb was telling her the story of his life (ba-ba-ba, da-da-da, la-la-la). I swear he had Dale-Harriet wrapped around his chubby little finger by the end of the evening!

Yesterday afternoon, I read this blog post and it suddenly dawned on me that, dude, the Harlot would be arriving at the Madison airport (Yeah, I know, keen sense of the obvious, but I had spent the morning running errands with Bug, Bean, and Beeb, so like most days, my brain was pretty much oatmeal). I immediately thought that I could go to the airport and perhaps get a glimpse of her. My second thought was I'm normally not that stalkerish and creeped myself out a little. My third thought was imagine myself staking out the airport lobby with a bored 5-year-old, a bored 3-year-old, and a bored 7.5-month-old. Like that could ever happen without my head exploding. Yeah, apparently, me as a celebrity stalker...just not happening.

Not that I would picture myself stalking most celebs, but for the Yarn Harlot, I might make an exception. Not only is she wickedly funny in a way that resonates just perfectly with my particular funny bone, but she seems to be just a really neat person that I could see myself sitting down with over a coffee and some knitting and having a blast. Prior to the whole famous author/knitblog personality gig, she was a doula and a certified IBCLC. I could probably even 'fess up to how many nurslings I have (and how old they are) and not even phase her. She also has the sci-fi geek thing going and the crunchy, Birkenstock, no make-up things going. So maybe in a parallel universe we could even be friends, but I guess I will settle happily for groupie as long as I already have some lovely, clever, and wickedly funny knitting friends, both in real life and on line.

12 comments:

Molly Bee said...

Great photo! Sounds like you had a blast. Of course Beeb worked the room. He is officially the cutest baby EVER! Those two little bottom toofers put him over the top. I'm sure he had Dale at hello!:-)

Marianne said...

I just came over from Steph's and saw the photo of you and Beeb, lol, no smiles... and we know better, hard to get is more like it. I'm glad he enjoyed his time so you could enjoy YOUR time!
I know just what you mean, that whole parallel universe thing, she's my kind of people too, and no surprise here that you are too!

Leeduck said...

Your Beeb was soooo cute. Did he take as long to wind down as my Wren, the aforementioned 5-month old girl did? She needed a few hours of rolling about, nursing, and cuddling to fall asleep.

Cate said...

I went to see her last year, it was a great time. I'm glad to hear you had fun. Oh, and I love your Maya Wrap, I have the exact same one :).

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you and Beeb had a great time, which is lovely, since I know how long you've wanted to attend a Yarn Harlot do (having missed one in Portland by just a few days last year). Tell Beeb to save at least a little of his many charms to use on for G&G in a couple of days.

knottykitty said...

Aaaawwwww! Beeb looks so darn cute peeking out from the top of your baby wrapper! That's a great picture! Glad you had fun :) I didn't go when she was here this time, but I've seen her a few times before so I didn't feel the need to fight the throngs again.

YarnThrower said...

Sounds like great fun at Stephanie's event!! I also read her blog post today, and saw that "Last Saturday Knitting" group was very well represented! (You and Dale Harriet make me proud!)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for letting me hang with you and Beeb last night. I agree with Mollybees - he is the cutest (boy) baby ever!

I was so wired it took me two hours to wind down last night. I kept waking up and writing blog ideas down on a library receipt with a light-up pen I have. Fortunately, none of them were "Something about enabling".

Cindy G said...

Yay Beeb! Yay Harlot! Sounds like a perfect combination.

Cloudberry said...

Sounds like you had a great time!
And Beeb looks so cute!

Thorny said...

Speaking of non-malicious stalker-y behavior... ahem.

So, I saw you at the Harlot's event, and recognized you because you had sat next to my friends and I at Knit Night two weeks ago (I was the one trying on the half-finished sweater and getting bra suggestions from the peanut gallery), and then I saw your pics on the Harlot's blog, and followed the link from your comment (see, I'm trying to do the full confession thing, but I'm afraid it's just sounding creepier and creepier, instead of getting whatsoever reassuring) and....

Okay. Dude, should I have the fortune to run into you again, be it at a yarn store or Knit Night (I'm planning to go this week, are you?) or whatever, I promise I will pluck up my courage and get over my Meeting New People shyness and introduce myself.

Because I'm a mom of twin almost-4-year-olds, and a sci-fi geek of days of old, and am a semi-crunchy mom as well (weaned the twins less than six months ago, how's that for you?), and hey, we just might get along like a house afire. Without the rise in insurance premiums, of course.

That is, if after all this you aren't going, "Um... what's your name again? I need to, um... get a restraining order...." :)

BTW, your little one is adorable. I saw him and the little girl flirting while I stood in line, and wow - so cute!!

Alison said...

An evening with the Yarn Harlot is tons of fun, isn't it? Sadly, she seems to go to places in the US with every book, but I think Halifax was a special trip, so I don't think I'll have another chance to see her! Even though next time I'd have a baby to take with me and everything!

Sounds like you guys had a fun evening!