28 January 2009

I make a mean sauerkraut!

Well, it appears that my German heritage is coming in handy. I made 3.5 quarts of sauerkraut out of one of the cabbages in our fall CSA share. By late December/early January it had sat in its cool, dark place long enough, so we pulled out the first jar. It was yummy! Way better than grocery store sauerkraut. Best of all, we have finally found a good use for CSA cabbage. After completely burning out on coleslaw after the first head of cabbage, we wound up with a couple of heads going bad over the course of the summer. We are having the second quart for supper tonight...yum, yum, yum!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jawohl, Katze Mutti, das kraut schmeckt sehr gut! Okay, so I know I've forgotten most of my one year of college German, but your sauerkraut sounds like it's a resounding success...plus, future heads of cabbage won't go to waste!

Elizabeth said...

I'll have to get the details on this tomorrow. I do love sauerkraut, although I'm the only one in the family. Making my own and canning in small jars might be a good solution.

Anonymous said...

That sounds good! I wish I had made some last year because I should be loading up on fermented stuff after my course of penicillin.

Kathy Kathy Kathy said...

Yummmmm....
I haven't had ho-made sauerkraut in many a year. I'm not trying to call you anything, I just like diner menu language.

Anonymous said...

MMmmm..Tasty! I never did like Saurkraut much until a year or two ago. Now I love it and can't wait to make some this year. We don't have a CSA but we live near an island full of farms with U-pick. Last year I did mostly berries and applies but I'm going to branch out more this year.

Marianne said...

Wow! I don't believe I've ever eaten ho'made sauerkraut! You just continue to rock.
I emailed you, wondering now if the addy I have is current...?... I need your snailmail addy, my little PIFer :^)

Knittymama said...

You've inspired me! I got sick of coleslaw last year too. Next summer I'll go for the kraut!