02 November 2007

Why I hate DPNs

Okay, I'm not bashing DPNs. I have several sets of Brittany DPNs in larger sized that are just wonderful to knit with, but when it comes to smaller DPNs, I'm hopeless. I tend to be a little tense when I knit, if you understand "a little tense" in the sense of Wisconsin has "a few" cows. I can't remember how many wood and bamboo size 3 DPNs I broke in the process of making my first pair of socks. Things got a bit better when I switched to metal DPNs, at least for size 2 or 3 needles. When I finally discovered "Magic Loop," dude, it was like discovering religion. Not only are circulars generally made of sturdier stuff than (some) DPNs, going from ten pointy ends to just two was magical. Seriously, I used to have nightmares about having to explain multiple puncture wounds to Child Protective Services. However, I don't have any really tiny circulars for cuffs, so I had to break out the DPNs. Not only did this lead to much creative vocabulary, but also this:

Okay, it goes a little something like this. I'm starting out "a little" tense (see above). The needles start bending, making it easier to drop stitches and harder to pull loops through. This makes me more tense. The needles bend more and so on. I have finished a little less than one inch of cuff on the first toe-up sock, stopping periodically to unwind myself. So now I just have the same amount of cuff on the second sock to complete. After getting this stressed out, I'm glad I have knitting to relax me. Oh, wait a minute...nevermind...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So this is what you're doing for FUN???!!! Actually, I can relate to what you're saying. Although I'm not a knitter, I've done a fair amount of sewing, and certain sewing jobs also made me tense, especially when you wanted the finished product to look really nice...and not like something a rank amateur would do.

Hang in there...I've had some sewing machine needles that looked a lot worse than your DPNs....'cause they usually don't bend, they break! {:o(

Marianne said...

whoa, dude, I AM impressed! wow...
(ok, I'm giggling too but hey, you know how it is...)

knottykitty said...

I say invest in a small size circular needle.now! Just worrying about ladders at all of those join points makes me tense when I knit on dpn's, so I avoid them like the plague. If I've got 4 stitches, I'll put two on each circ just to avoid dpn's! LOL!

BTW, don't those Brittany needles come with a replacement guarantee? From the looks of things, you might be needing to utilize that soon....:)