13 November 2007

Late to the Party

When the buzz about Ravelry started traveling around the knitblog community, I swore I was going to stay away. Things are crazy enough without another internet time-suck. I finally gave in over the weekend and put myself on the wait-list. Based on the blogs I read, I figured I was the only person in the known universe that hadn't joined, but when I looked back today (less than 48 hours after putting myself on the wait-list) here was my status:

  • You signed up on November 11, 2007
  • You are #56058 on the list.
  • 9991 people are ahead of you in line.
  • 1011 people are behind you in line.
  • 79% of the list has been invited so far
I guess that means that there are people slower on the uptake than me! Dudes, save me a seat...I'll be joining you sometime!

In other knitting news, I am approaching the first corner of the shawl doing the edging. All along I had been thinking that the edging was a relatively small part of the whole, but I did the math and the border is close to 20% of the stitches! So I'm not as "almost done" as I thought, but I just love how it is turning out and it will be so worth it! I have also been picking up the Kitty Man sock at odd moments. I discovered (once again) that I can't swatch for beans, so I ripped out a huge toe and about a half an inch of foot and started over with fewer stitches. As I knit socks I have been trying out different toes and heels and trying toe-up and cuff-down and I think I have finally hit on *my* combination, so I will have my own generic sock recipe. Not that it is anything I have invented or I am deluded that I am the first person to use this particular combination, but it meets my own unique combination of neuroses needs. In a nutshell, they are toe-up so I can maximize cuff length and not wind up with tons of teensy balls of leftover sock yarn; I don't have to join in the round and worry about twisting; no toes to kitchener; and if I use a single kind of yarn, the *only* finishing is weaving in two ends! I will share more details when the Kitty Man socks are officially finished objects.

I am proud to say that I think this is the first post in a while that doesn't contain bodily functions. No one said being a mom was boring!

2 comments:

Marianne said...

Slow on the uptake, yep, that's me. Actually, from what I heard from a friend at knitnight last night... it DOES sound pretty darned fabulous... did I rush right home and sign up?... no....
but at least I'm now considering it.

Really looking forward to seeing progress on the shawl...nudge nudge. and Kitty Man socks... :^)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are over halfway on the list...this situation is comparable to standing in line for a new Harry Potter book or new software ;o)

Once again...love the socks!