27 November 2006

Halloween costumes

I am long overdue on posting this, but...

The kidlings dressed as black cats for Halloween...Black sweatpants, black velour hoodies, and mama knitted ears and tails. Even though I have been slow to blog, they were done and ready for trick or treating at the zoo on 10/21:

Pretty cute kittens, if I do say so myself!

Here is the ear pattern:

With black yarn (I used Cascade 220), CO 4
Row 1: knit
Row 2 and all even rows: purl
Row 3: k1f&b four times (8 st)
Row 5: (k1f&b, k1) four times (12 st)
Row 7: (k1f&b, k3, k1f&b, k1) twice (14 st)
Row 9: (k1f&b, k5, k1f&b, k1) twice (16 st)
Continue in pattern until ear is desired size. After last increase row, purl one row, knit one row, purl one row. (44 stitches total worked for me)

Base and inner ear.
BO 25 st, k17, BO 2, pull yarn through.
Slide live stitches to other end of circular needle (or slip all purlwise to another straight needle)
Note that front of inner ear is back of main ear
With pink yarn (I used Bernat CottonTots):
Row 1: knit (knit side of black is facing)
Row 2: ssk, knit to last two stitches, k2tog (purl side of black is facing)
Row 3: purl
Repeat rows 2 and 3 until two stitches remain
Last row: k2tog, pull yarn through

It looks something like this:

Then I used the tails to sew up the ears so they looked like this:

For the tails, I just did a long skinny stockinette swatch with a fuzzy black boucle yarn: