16 November 2008

The Four-Year-Old Drama Llama

Bean has declared her fifth year of life as "The Year of the Drama Llama." Just an example: Today, Daddy invited Bug and Bean to join him and walk to the playground of a nearby school. Bean respectfully declines. I point out that winter is coming and we will be spending more time inside and this would be a good chance to run around and get some fresh air. Nope, no way, no how. Fine. She stays home with me and plays while I putter. Some time later Bug and Daddy come home and Bug is reporting on his activities when Bean unhappily declares, "I never get to do anything fun!" and burst into tears. In the process of trying to talk her down, she proceeds to paraphrase (i.e. with drama ramped all the way up) all the suggestions I had given her for going. For example, the above suggestion became something along the lines of winter's coming and we are NEVER going outside again and this playground trip had been the last possible outing EVER.

Gonna be a long year...

4 comments:

Cindy G said...

"drama llama" I'm grinning even as I'm empathizing.

Molly Bee said...

Snort! I haven't been around her much, but I think she caught it from me! :-)

Elizabeth said...

I do recognize the syndrome. Hang in there.

Anonymous said...

Drama Llama ding-dong...sort of reminds me of a song from my youth! It's so hard when you are little and can't trust that you made the right choice (go or not?)...oh yeah, it gets even harder when you get big and you can't be sure you're making the right choices. And this is just one of life's many lessons...that sometimes you just can't have it both ways. Tell Bean we love her dearly despite the drama. And try to remember, Kitty Mommy, that this seems to be her time for superlatives.