07 July 2008

Spin, baby, spin!

Still spinning away. I finally got up the gumption and finished the evil viscose. It wasn't much fun to spin, but the yarn turned out better than I expected! I wonder if it would have gone better on a heavier spindle. I spun the single on my Turkish spindle and Navajo plied it on my Ashford spindle. I got 78 yards of three-ply out of slightly more than an ounce of fiber.


If I ever lose my mind and spin viscose again, I think more pre-drafting, a heavier spindle, and a thicker single might help.

I'm still much in love with the Targhee top:

Just like self-striping sock yarn, the color changes keep me much more fascinated than they have any right doing. Plus, they are just stunning colors, very rich and deep. I am hoping that by Navajo plying this, it will stay kind of self-striping. The last few days have been too humid to spin...nothing to do with the physics of spinning, just the fact that the fibers stick to me when I'm sweaty and I just hate it! So I have been doing more knitting and less spinning until the humidity breaks a little. I guess I really can't complain too much about heat and humidity this year as we haven't even turned on our A/C yet and it is already July!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wel-l-l (as Bug would say), the viscose yarn looks very nice despite being the demon fiber. Your other yarn, however, is stunning...such beautiful colors.

Marianne said...

Namma has said it all for me, the viscose IS pretty but we all know the Targhee top is IT!

YarnThrower said...

I'm with you on the A/C thing.....we hadn't turned ours until....until July, and then just for a day at the beginning...though the past few days, we've left it on, because it is as hot and humid as it probably should be right now.....