02 April 2007

A Day Late...

Okay, first off, I need to wish Namma (my mom) a belated happy birthday. She is our favorite April Fool! So here's to you mom:

Hippo Birdie Two Ewes
Hippo Birdie Two Ewes
Hippo Birdie Deer Ewes
Hippo Birdie Two Ewes!
I wish we could have been there to celebrate with you! Thai food and birthday cake would have been way better than our evening!

First off, our weekend was pretty quiet as I have been fighting my third (!!) cold of the spring. I think I got enough extra naps over the weekend that I am winning again, but if I get another cold, I swear I am going to throw myself in front of a bus.

Anyway, our grand excitement for yesterday was this. We have this neighbor that lives two doors down (yeah, that one mom and dad). Anyway, I guess they are moving and she needed to haul some things to New Glarus (about 45 minutes away) to put into storage and her car was so full that she couldn't fit her son's car seat in. He's a kindergartner. So she asked us if he could play with Bug for a couple of hours while she dropped the stuff off. He has been over a couple of times to play, and while he isn't our favorite guest for various reasons, Bug enjoys playing with him and he usually tires Bug out pretty well. So this is around 2:45 PM. We ask the neighbor when she will be back. "A couple of hours" would be 5:00 PM, but she says probably closer to 5:30, but no later than 6:00 and if anything comes up, she will call us and let us know. Anyway, 5:30 rolls around and we are all pretty anxious to send our guest home and get on with dinner. 6:00 arrives and departs and we are getting even more antsy. She has had plenty of time to drive 45 minutes, unload her car (a sedan, not a big van or moving truck), and drive 45 minutes back. That is even allowing an hour and a half to unload, which seems more than generous to me. Anyway, we finally sent Kitty Daddy out for McD's dinner around 6:30. We ate, got both of our kids bathed and in pajamas. Finally around 8:00 PM, Kitty Daddy finally called the police. They managed to track down his older sister who was working not too far away, so they took him off our hands. Quite the adventure. I'm starting to think that my dad has the right idea: wanting to move to a cabin in the mountains where there aren't any people. Sure the moose might act like dumb animals, but, dude, they are dumb animals, so they have an excuse! Either that, or I need to make another Ho. Chocolate always helps.

So, while the kids slept great last night, I slept horribly after getting wound up. And today, both kidlings are just about completely bouncing off the walls from combination overstimulation last night and Mom and Dad being stressed out. Sheesh!

4 comments:

knottykitty said...

Don'tcha just love when people take advantage of your kindness. It's very sad, but I believe in that old saying about the road to hel* being paved with good intentions....LOL! I guess you won't be doing her any more babysitting favors. On the up side, she IS moving.....:)

deb

Anonymous said...

First of all, thank you for the lovely birthday serenade. We wished we could have all been together, too.

I'm sorry to hear about your good deed going awry, because it does tend to leave a bad taste in your mouth when people take advantage of your helpfulness. At least she won't be knocking on your door again for another favor...and yeah, sometimes Wyoming is the anwer...where there are more antelope than people!

Ms. Knitingale said...

Good grief--who DOES that? I'm so sorry you got left hanging but I second the opinion of those above me: at least she's moving! I love that you did the Sandra Boynton Happy Birthday. She's one of my absolute favorites--I don't have kids, but I'm still a huge fan of "But Not the Hippopotamus"!

Anonymous said...

How weird. Did you ever find out where she was or what was taking so long? That is just rude.