15 May 2007

Catching up...

I have discovered a definite drawback to marvelous spring weather...the kids want to be outside 24/7 and, even though I have a laptop and wireless network, it's too bright to see the screen without getting a whopping headache! Eventually, I will be able to send them out to do their thing and stay inside to do important stuff like blogging ;o), but Bean tends to wander off for now. In addition, she has mastered the skills of letting herself out the front door and the sliding glass door and doesn't quite understand the concept of "You can't go outside without Mommy." She has also developed a keen fashion sense and enjoys picking her own wardrobe:

We had absolutely gorgeous spring weather during the end of last week through Saturday. Warm and sunny during the day, but cool breezes in the shade and nice cool nights. The kids and I spent a lot of time at the parks or in the backyard. After our weekly Friday library trip, we took a blanket out on the grass in the back and read our books under a tree. Really, a very lovely way to spend a Friday afternoon. Although the computer doesn't do well in the backyard, it is a nice place to sit on the deck with some knitting, so I am trucking along on my entrelac purse-to-be. Between backyard doses and Battlestar Galactica episodes in the evening (courtesy of Blockbuster online), I should have a new purse before the old one completely falls apart. When we go to the park, I have my sock in my purse, so I am making great headway on it too. The pair of sock before this one took about six months without going to the park over the winter months! On this pair, I am about an inch from turning the heel on the first sock! Sure, I know a half of a sock in a month is not blazing fast, but I never work on my purse sock at home.

On Saturday, we walked over to the neighborhood meat market to pick up what we needed for burgers and 'dogs for a Mother's day picnic cookout. After we got home, we all played out in the yard for a while. We dug out our yard toys...badminton racquets, baseball gloves, Frisbees, jump ropes, etc. and had a blast. Bean is clearly destined for the Major Leagues:

That is, if she ever gets to be as big as the glove! Bug is starting to pull together the skills for throwing a Frisbee and he has a killer arm, which is usually employed for throwing things at his sister (most likely at her head), so we had a lot of fun.

Since it started raining buckets in the wee hours of Sunday morning, we ended up changing our cookout to a cook-in. We used the stove top griddle/grill and everything was pretty tasty, but not nearly as good as over charcoal. I did get a chance to go hang at the coffee shop and knit for a while ALL BY MYSELF, so not a bad Mother's Day, in spite of the weather.

Yesterday, we got a sneak peek of summer. It was in the upper 80's and didn't cool down as quickly last night. Today is gray and rainy and it looks like we will be having more spring later in the week! I think we will take advantage of the cool and rainy to have an indoor day. Bean is drawing gotes (ghosts) with crayons and Bug is up to his usual goofiness. I am catching up on the computer. I am also planning to work on folding laundry (the never-ending chore) and maybe spin a little of my alpaca roving.

3 comments:

Marianne said...

Hah,, I'm the one playing 'catch-up' on your blog...Gracie is with me today and she saw the photo of Bean, Grace's face lit up and told me she wanted to play with that little girl! They would have all sorts of fun with each other.
In looking back at the posts I've missed...a boy!....and that handspun yarn is mmmmm yummy!
So glad you had a nice Mommy Day, filled with family...and a bit of time for yourself!
Yes, you get it about Mondays!

knottykitty said...

Sounds like you had a fun weekend! And about your sock-knitting speed, I think it sounds lightening fast to me. As you know, I have a history of finishing all projects a season or two AFTER they would have been needed! :)

Anonymous said...

Tell your tiny fashionista that Namma loves her red shoes...she's just like Dorothy in the "Wizard of Oz"! Now if she could just click her heels together and make a wish...