02 October 2008

Something I have been dying to tell you...

*snort* *snicker* Sorry, had to get it out of my system.

Anyhoo, what started out as 100 grams of Knitpicks Bare Bulky weight yarn, ended up looking like this:

100_1643

I split the skein into five parts and tried different dye/mordant combinations [Aside: a mordant is what you use to set the dye]; from left to right: Beet with Alum and Cream of Tartar, Coffee with Vinegar, Onion Skin with Vinegar, Beet with Salt, and Beet with Vinegar. And some progress photos (in all of these photos, you can click to go to Flickr and see dye/mordant labels).

In quart jars, soaking in dye and hanging out in the sun (kinda like sun tea):

100_1634

Drained and rinsed out:

100_1635

And hanging out on the deck to dry:

100_1636

I had a good time playing with dyes and was very excited to get some pretty colors without using the kinds of serious chemicals that can wreak all tunes of havoc if you don't use dye-dedicated pots and pans and use care in handling them. Everything I used is in the kitchen for cooking anyway, so I wasn't as worried about getting interrupted all the time!

10 comments:

Marianne said...

I think the colours are Lovely. What fun! You've inspired me once again.

Anonymous said...

Okay, very punny [not that getting it out of your system will prevent it from happening again ;o)]! I do like the nice soft colors of your organically dyed yarn...all are very pretty. However, I especially like the coffee one that looks like a latte (since I find it hard to resist anything coffee-flavored).

Cindy G said...

Ooooh - fun! Really pretty colors, and they will look so pretty worked up together. Can hardly wait to see what you make with them.

Molly Bee said...

Oh my gosh! How beautiful! what are you going to make with them? They all go together so well? I may be there for a bit after all tonight. Don't have to help tear down the sale. Maybe I'll see you there? I found a few more art goodies for the kids.

Cloudberry said...

The colours are so beautiful and goes so well together!
Well done.

dale-harriet said...

Aren't you glad it's the 21st century? Seems like horse urine's fallen all outta favor as a mordent. {snerk} They really ARE beautiful though!

mama tee said...

sooooo pretty. do you have any idea how amazing you are?

Anonymous said...

They turned out very nicely. If you can stand the smell turmeric will give you a fantastic yellow.

knottykitty said...

Love, love, love those colors! Great job! Thanks for stopping by my blog today--so nice of you to say hi! :)

Molly Bee said...

Hey Chick! It's awful quiet from your camp! How are things going over there?