31 August 2008

Trying to find our groove again...

We are gradually working our way back to something resembling normal (mind you, a VERY relative term in our case). On Friday, we walked to our new Farmers' Market and came home with yummy tomatoes (which became salsa with stuff from last week's CSA box), corn on the cob, cantaloupe, some local sausage, local honey, and several cookies (actually, those traveled home in our stomachs). In the afternoon, we went to the library and got set up with new cards. It was easy as pie...let's hear it for the South Central Library System! We just had to show proof of our new address, fill out the form to apply for a card, turn in our new card, and we were switched over, holds, checked out books and everything transferred to the new card! Very slick.

Saturday, we took a somewhat lazy day, just trying to recover a little from the last two weeks. I went to Last Saturday Knitting and had the usual great time. I was a bit more zoned out than normal, but still enjoyed seeing everyone. When I got home, a big surprise met me. I drove up to our new place and saw this kid loitering on our porch. I wondered if Bug had met someone his own age or a neighbor kid had come to check out our crew. I got closer and realized that the kid was wearing a Fitchburg Fire Department t-shirt, just like all of our kids have. I spent a few moments of great confusion before realizing that it was my very own Bug, sans about 98% of his hair. He had been asking me for a haircut for about three weeks, but I just couldn't find the time with all the moving, so he finally got fed up and asked Daddy for a haircut. He looks very cute with his new buzz cut, but I do feel a little sad to see his thick, longish hair go. Last night, he 'fessed up that he missed his longer hair, too. I assured him that his new 'do was very handsome and that hair always grows back. Here he is posing with Hin the tomato plant (who has delivered close to a dozen orange cherry tomatoes already, with many, many more coming):

Hin is huge and survived the move with most of its branches and all but about four immature tomatoes intact. Bug is also showing off his new bat house:

Daddy brought home a bat house kit for Bug and a treasure box kit for Bean (pictures of that to come) that we put together Saturday morning. Bug decorated his with markers and from the top, it says "Fruit bats bug bats" (actually the bug and the second bat got transposed) and then there is a picture of a fruit bat and a bug bat and finally an arrow to show the bats how to get into the house. Bug helped with hammering the nails in and did a fine job. It was slow, but quite good for a new hammerer. I vividly remember the frustration of having to trade off between power and aim.

Today, we went back to organizing and putting away. We got quite a bit done, but there is still a lot to do. At least it is mostly livable, just not very organized and we spend a lot of time playing the "Did you see where I set ____?" game. The new place is starting to feel homey and things are getting better all the time.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a change!!...in the hairstyle department, that is. You can tell Bug that we think he looks great no matter what kind of hairstyle he sports. Although his long hair was lovely and shiny, now we can see the nice shape of his head better.

Bug did a good job building and decorating his bat house, too. I'm sure if there are any fruit or bug bats in the vicinity, they will be checking it out, that is, if they want to move...(I know, I shouldn't mention the word "move" to you right now).

Cindy G said...

Woah! I can see why you didn't recognize him at first, but he looks real cute. My 25 yr old still regularly gets her hair chopped short and then immediately says "I'm thinking of growing it out..."

Cloudberry said...

Hope he'll get some bats in his bathouse!

Marianne said...

FABulous bat-house! Great job. I like his buzzed head too, he's got a great noggin :^)
Congratulations on the move, it's been a year here and there are still unpacked boxes.... but that might just be a sign of 'age'...