12 August 2008

I beet my yarn

The results of my quick and dirty beet-boiling water dying experiment is in:

Based on my (pretty minimal) reading on the subject of natural dying, I didn't expect the lovely hot pink hue that gets all over the everloving kitchen occurs when you cut raw or boiled beets. But I am quite happy with what I got. It's a light orange shade, with a little pinkish and brownish thrown in. Think peach or salmon that is on the rusty side.

We get the keys for our new apartment Thursday, but the kids are already decidedly sick of the moving process. I have been rushing around trying to get regular stuff done in addition to getting organized/packed/cleaned up. Either Bug or Bean has the following conversation with my every 15 minutes:

B: I want to _____
M: No, that requires too much ______ (supervision, clean-up, assistance, etc.)
B throws conniption fit
M: I'm sorry you're so disappointed, but I have a lot to do right now, but once we are done moving and settled, we'll have lots of time for fun projects.
Repeat.
Sigh. I know it isn't much fun for them and I do try to involve them in as much as I can without having to run away screaming and lock myself in the bathroom. Fortunately, their local adopted grandma is visiting tomorrow, so maybe we can get her set up with some of the projects I can't tackle with them right now! And once the time-sensitive part of moving (getting things physically relocated, enough stuff put away that we can function semi-normally, and the old place spic and span), we will have more time for fun stuff again. Meanwhile, we are still doing our regular Farmers' Market, library (though shorter visits!), and a few other (shorter) outings. The irony of all this is that if I am available (not necessarily involved, just available) they are perfectly capable of amusing themselves for hours at a time, while I do my own thing.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hang in there...this, too, will pass, and none of the littles will be permanently scarred for life by having to postpone some fun projects. It's kind of like when you try to talk on the phone...all of the sudden there's a need to talk/interact/whatever with Mom. That being said, I do sympathize with ALL of you 'cause I really dislike the moving process myself!

Charity said...

Love that yarn! Hang in there - the move will all be over soon. :0)

Marianne said...

Kids are like that, yes, they are :^)

Hang tough, it all gets done eventually... (I still get those 'shuddery moments' and it's been a year now)

Pretty yarn! Look are nicely spun it is, beyond pretty!

Molly Bee said...

I hear ya Sistah-friend! I don't have the kids to contend with, just the boot from heck, but packing is the absolute WORST. Especially when you don't wanna go in the first place!

Anonymous said...

I don't know what I hate more moving, or my tiny, tiny yard. Let's just say that when we finally got our piano in the dining room, it extended the amount of time I will live here by about seven or eight years.

It will be all over soon!

YarnThrower said...

What doesn't kill us makes us stronger.

I'm confident the move is going well, and I trust your sanity is in tact as well -- that's just how you are :-)

Leeduck said...

Oooh your beet yarn turned out darker than mine. I got a lovely cherry vanilla color. Good luck with the move