09 June 2008

Busy, busy, busy!

At last a quick moment to sit down! Last week was rainy and overcast, so instead of a hike or other outdoor adventure, we took a trip on the city bus and went downtown to see the Wisconsin Historical Museum. It was a fairly short trip as some of the exhibits tended to be a bit dry for a three-year-old and five-year-old, but I foresee many more trips as they get bigger. I thought it was fascinating (or at least as much of it as I could read without getting TOO far behind the kids!). As a bonus, we ran into Dale-Harriet, who is a volunteer there, leading a group of school kids around. While the school kids had a few minutes of free exploration, we got to chat for a bit.

Most of Thursday and Friday (except for our requisite library trip) was spent doing laundry and packing for our trip to Iowa. If you aren't a local, or are one of the three residents of Wisconsin that Bug didn't tell about our trip plans, we went to visit Grandma and go to KittyDaddy's 20-year high school reunion. Iowa is currently giving Minnesota a run for its money on the 10,000 lakes thing, and if they get anymore rain, they may join Hawaii and become the second state comprised completely of islands! The kids had a great time with Grandma (except Beeb, who was not amused by being left behind without Mama) and we also got to see one of Mike's sisters while we were there. As for the reunion, I think KittyDaddy had a good time. As for me, let's just say I was the spouse at a high-school reunion and leave it at that.

The highlight of the trip for me was the knitting time in the car! I worked on my Laminaria and got a couple of blossom chart repeats finished and since my homemade spindle is so dinky, I even got about 10 grams of Corriedale spun. I also got the next hank of Malabrigo wound for the Laminaria. We also brought home a dresser from Grandma's basement. I am in the process of repainting a bench with storage under the seat that we brought home on our last trip, so I will have more refinishing to do when I get done with that! We'll have to wait for everything to dry out first...on Sunday as we were coming home, Madison was having record rainfall. From the NWS today: "A record rainfall of 4.11 inches was set at Madison yesterday. This breaks the old record of 1.4 set in 1874."

The other big excitement from last week was Beeb's nine-month well-baby checkup. He weighs in at 20 pounds and stands 29 inches tall! Beyond that, he was proclaimed both very healthy and adorable, neither a big surprise.

We are also looking pretty seriously at relocating in August. KittyDaddy has been commuting nearly 20 miles each way from our current location. Add to that a growing dissatisfaction with a few of our neighbors and the management (or lack thereof) of the apartment complex. We found a place just two blocks from his office. Like here, we will be within walking distance of a grocery store (if the weather is nice and the kids are feeling perky) and I think we could probably even make the library on foot (with the books in our trusty red wagon). There is even a wonderful bakery just a block or two away from the library that could be used as bribery in a pinch. As much as I dread the idea of packing up and moving again, I think it will be a good thing if everything falls into place.

6 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Oh, I've wished for years that we could move to Stoughton, but for us, it would create a 25 mile commute. But what a lovely town with so many nice old houses, and many of them affordable.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you had a good trip to Iowa and back, and that KittyDaddy had a good time at his reunion. We keep hearing and seeing about all the rain and flooding in the Midwest...but Iowa certainly seems to be getting more than its share once again.

Good luck on your relo plans...that would be a nice move for all of you (even though moving has always been at the bottom of my list of fun things to do, too).

So your little entertainer is adorable and healthy...what else is new?

Cindy G said...

Oh man, forget commute times, I think I'd move just to be near that bakery!

Glad you had a good trip, I though it was cool that you could actually spin in the car.

dale-harriet said...

Waitaminnit - you're spinning in the CAR? Whoooah.... For my part, by the way, the highlight of your Museum day was MY getting to see YOU! As you noticed, no doubt, this time of year the 4th graders are right up there with nailing Jello to a tree. But that's ok - the season is over. Most of our programs now are for the Old Folks, and generally they're an easier audience because they're restricted by walkers and wheelchairs (I can say that; I'm that close to being one of 'em). You were missed at Lat-Night....

Molly Bee said...

Well, ok...as long as you don't move too far away to come to Knit Night and Sat knitting! :-) We missed you Friday! I was one of the three that wasn't told! :-(

Marianne said...

I know what you mean about being a spouse at a reunion... Bobby went to one Friday night, wasn't there very long but I happily chose not to go... I was much happier at home knitting!

I hope everything falls into place for the move, it sounds like a good one!