28 July 2007

Bulky Butttock Muscles

A couple of weeks ago, we got three books about the body from the library and it turns out that Bug is fascinated by the whole thing (as evidenced by his nude kidney lectures of a couple of weeks back). We are on our second book now and read about muscles a couple of nights ago. Unfortunately, it was at the end of a long day and the phrase "bulky buttock muscles" pushed all the giggle buttons. Poor little dude almost fell out of bed, he was giggling so hard. Of course, since Kitty Daddy was reading his own book nearby, I'm afraid the phrase was repeated by both of us quite a few times, as watching him collapse in giggles was as amusing to us as "bulky buttock muscles" was to him.

When we were at the library on Friday, they had some watercolor paints out and Bug and Bean made some masterpieces. Bug painted a picture of bodies, inspired by our reading. The cute part was that he was telling me about it and was identifying the "body parts" using nonsense words. It made sense to me, since "coccyx," "mandible," "maxilla," and "phlanges" probably sound like complete nonsense to him. Incidentally, I know where all those bones are (at least for the moment)! To appreciated the impressiveness of that, I need to point out that, even though I am married to a nurse, I have long been pretty icked out by much of biology and the parts that don't ick me out (like plants or classification) slide off my brain like eggs on teflon...I would take chemistry or physics over bio any day. So I'm enjoying my biology "expertise" while I can...just don't ask me to identify bones a month from now. Unless Bug is still on his body kick.

5 comments:

Knittymama said...

I"m gonna have to pull out "bulky buttock muscles" next time we need a good laugh with Little Man. He digs a good body part laugh too!

Anonymous said...

When I see the word "buttock," I can't help but think of the way Forrest Gump pronounced it...and it is a funny-sounding word...although I'm thinking that that's not the reason Bug finds it so greatly humorous, right?

knottykitty said...

We like to call the backside "the buttockal area" around here. Wonder how bug would feel about that one?!

Marianne said...

That is SO funny! Seriously, of all the sounds in the world there's not many that can come close to the sound of a child's uninhibited peals of giggles/laughter, eh?
One of my most favourite sounds ever is 'baby's first chuckle'.

Anonymous said...

It's a funny phrase, no doubt about it. Even made me giggle.