16 July 2007

No good deed goes unpunished

We had an unusually productive weekend (read boring if you are a small person). Since it was cooler than it has been, we got motivated and cleaned out our rental storage unit. When we move last September, a lot of boxes that had been in our garage at the old apartment (and unopened since we left Iowa) we just shoved willy-nilly into the storage unit. If we needed something, it was almost impossible to find anything and pretty much every time we tried, something fell over. So on Saturday, we took everything out and organized like crazy. Some stuff, like my journals and work files were put way in back, since I'm not likely to need them soon. Other stuff, like the Christmas decorations that never actually surfaced last December were put together and left more accessible toward the front. We found all the crib parts, so we can get them out before too long and sidecar it to our bed. The kids got bored, even though we brought the trike and wagon for them to play with, but we got done anyway.

On Sunday, we did our usual house cleaning and then cut Kitty Daddy's and Bug's hair out on the back patio, since we desperately needed to clean up the patio. Our unit got new windows on Friday, but the replacement process left a heck of a mess, especially on the back patio. The windows are a grand improvement and will hopefully make a difference in heating costs next winter! As an aside, the widows each had a label that said, "This fenestration unit complies [with some gobble-de-gook]." Seriously? "Fenestration Unit"???? I still snort and roll my eyes when I walk by one of the said fenestration units. Can you see it? "Dear, it's getting warm in here...could you go open the fenestration unit?" Anyhoo...it did give me the opportunity to recall one of my favorite words: defenestration, which is the act of throwing someone or something out a window.

In spite of the fact that it was cooler than average, it appears that Kitty Daddy overdid things and didn't stay hydrated, as he wound up in the ER this morning with a kidney stone. Not fun, but last I heard, he was getting good drugs. That did put the kibosh on my day's plan, which was to get both cranky, overtired kids down for a nap, come hell or high water, because you know the minute one or both FINALLY falls asleep, we will need to go pick Daddy up! Just for the record, I'm not trying to compare the magnitude of my personal nap tragedy with the unpleasantness of a kidney stone. I wouldn't trade with him for the world. Of course, if I had been the one to overexert this weekend, it would have probably involved a NICU instead of a kidney stone, so I am extra appreciative!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear about the kidney stone ordeal. I understand that there is some SERIOUS pain involved with that. Give him our best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Marianne said...

Oh 'OWWWW'! I'm with Namma, lots of pain with that, yikes...will he remember this whole 'need to keep up with the hydration' next time?
Bobby is in the window business and yeah, that whole fenestration bit, how silly.
I hope kitty daddy feels better soon.
(but, dude, those naps are Important for Kitty mommy)

Charity said...

It's funny - I just heard the word defenestrated for the first time not long ago, and now I'm always looking for opportunities to use it! :0)

Ouch! I've heard kidney stones are really terrible. Sorry to hear it.

Cate said...

I hope he feels better soon... but hey, organized storage... I'd give more than a kidney stone for that about now....

Knittymama said...

Oh no!!! My mom gets those and they can be so painful!!!!

knottykitty said...

OUCH! Hope kittydaddy's stone passed without having to peel him off the ceiling! And yes, a dehydrated kittymommy would have been bad news indeed! Hope all is going well now!