15 April 2008

The Man Cold

Ah yes, as the weather finally starts to turn (emphasis on starts...we had snow again over the weekend), our home has been invaded by the dreaded Man Cold. KittyDaddy caught the bug last week, took a day and a half off of work and slept the whole time. Now the kids and I have said cold. Boy, do I wish I could take some sick leave and sleep instead of tending to sniffling, cranky kids. We did manage a mass nap piled on the sofa yesterday when I could. not. keep. my. eyes. open. anymore. Yeah, all four of us. Does that tell you how wiped out I was? Fortunately, I am feeling better today!

I have been MIA lately and for that I blame Ravelry. If you're not a Raveler, feel free to skip ahead. In Rav, I made the mistake of looking at the MCY thread and have been hopelessly addicted (lurker only). I think I'm finally cleaning up my act, but boy, I still want to see what comes of it (if anything). Also, I have been stealth knitting. So knit happens, but it does not feed the blog much. Pics on Ravelry if you're interested (I'm pretty sure the intended recipient is NOT a Raveler).

I did start the Laminaria shawl with my Malabrigo. I am about two and half repeats into the star part (of six repeats) and just LOVE the pattern and the yarn. This is going to be one cozy and soft shawl. I can't wait to get to the more open "blossom" part of the pattern. My only gripe with the pattern (and it's a small one) is that chart winds up asymmetrical. The chart is repeated twice with the middle line between and one one side there is a very visible horizontal line and on the other a very visible vertical line. I'm pretty sure I could rip back and substituted sssk for the k3tog parts and it would come out symmetrical, but I have decided to be happy with it. I think it will smooth out some with blocking and I will probably be caressing it and calling it "precious" instead of looking at symmetry once it is done.

My only beef with Malabrigo is that it is a little hard to knit with compared to other lace weights I have used (most notably Jaggerspun wool/silk and KnitPicks merino laceweight). The thickness varies slightly and it is not tightly spun (and is single ply), so it can occasionally be difficult to figure out where one stitch ends and the other begins if they are bunched together or to split the ply. I can't complain much though, because the end result will be worth it, but if this were a first lace project, Malabrigo might make lace knitting seem somewhat harder than it really is. (And yes, Deb, I am looking at you right now!)

6 comments:

Marianne said...

Oh ack, the man cold... it's amazing isn't it? You know what I'm talking about... I'm glad you're feeling better, and yes, I know just how exhausted you must've been.

Your shawl is looking lovely, and I'm LOVING that colour!

Anonymous said...

We're sending our warm weather your way...hope that will help out in the cold department (i.e., both the man cold and the weather cold). Just glad to hear that you are all feeling better...'cause both types of colds need to be gone by the end of April! ;o)

Cindy G said...

Glad you're starting to feel better. Can't stay - have to go check out your secret Ravelry projects :)

Cloudberry said...

Hope all of you are getting better!
We have the cold too, but I'm not so "lucky" that all kids has it at the same time...
Oh how I wish we could take a nap together! But hopefully I can get some sleep Friday - hubbys day off ;)

YarnThrower said...

So sorry to hear that you're all under the weather. I keep thinking that we're DONE with the whole illness thing, and then somebody else gets sick. In any case, I hope you're back to 100% very soon!

I have to go figure out what MCR is... I'm sure it's something obvious which I've totally missed, though you've peaked my curiosity... Also, must check out the stealth knitting project...

knottykitty said...

Hey, I was just about to comment about the other stuff, and then I saw my name mentioned....:o...!

I have the ugly spring cold as well. Had to cancel a wire-bending class that I've been waiting for only 6 months to take!! arrggh. Hope you are all feeling better! First cold I got all this winter, and it had to come when I paid for a fun class! I don't envy you having to attend to all the kiddos as well while feeling like a lump.

I will not be afraid of the Mmmmalabrigo...I will not let it defeat me....I bought more! LOL! I do agree with you that being able to separate those stitches again can be rough. Thanks for the encouragement, though! I'm just about to start another (easier) lace project, using some lovely, fat sock yarn. And you will be so proud of me when you see my almost-FO lace scarf (soon)!

Sorry for the humongo comment post..I'm returning possession of your comment page now...