17 April 2009

The Sock Black Hole

Okay, I consider myself to be at least average or better in math. So my question is this. If I start with just under 110 grams of sock yarn to make a pair of socks and knit 80 grams worth, shouldn't I be farther along than this?


Actually there is a fully complete sock waiting to be frogged after knitting the entire thing in denial and then discovering that the cuff wouldn't fit over my heel. So I pulled out a ruler and a scratch pad, measured and figured, pondered and contemplated and cast on again. I got a couple repeats into the foot and discovered that the sock would fit over the outside of my sneaker. Then I cast on fewer stitches and tried again. I got as far as I got on version 2.0 and tried it on. It was pretty close, but a little big. After this much knitting I decided that this sock was, for the love of all that is good and wooly, going to fit. So this is the third try for this particular 8 grams of sock yarn and I am finally happy with it, so it should go faster from here on out!

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I was wondering about the status of your Charades.

My verification word is cramboom. Seems like a good one for MollyBeez walnut situation, eh?

Namma said...

If you can't figure it out with your math skills, which are far superior to mine, I don't stand a chance...really pretty sock yarn, though, so here's to a pair that finally fit!

Molly Bee said...

Yikes! Number Salad! I'm passing out!